In 1756 Col. John Armstrong built Fort Loudoun on land owned by Matthew Patton. The fortification was built in response to continued threats from Indians along the Pennsylvania frontier and was named for the Earl of Loudoun who had been appointed commander of British forces in North America in July, 1756.
Fort Loudoun was later used as an important supply point during the Forbes campaign against Ft. Duquesne in 1758 and continued to be used through Col. Henry Bouquet's expedition in 1763 at the time of Pontiac's Rebellion. The Fort was finally closed by Gen. Gage in November, 1765.
The fort is 127 feet on each side with blunt corners, two of which have exterior shooting platforms jutting out from the walls. There is a gate on the north wall and, apparently, a sally-port on the south side. Excavations indicate there was a well inside the fort as well as several buildings. Outside the walls there presently are several historic buildings connected with the farm.
Fort Loudoun is a State Historic Site under the direction of the Pennsylvania Historical Society and Museum Commission. Historic interpretation is done by the Fort Loudoun Historical Society. The periods covered include prehistoric use dating from approximately 8000 B.C. to the abandoment of the fort in 1765.
The site is open to the public, but there are only occasional interpretative programs. For further information contact:
Fort Loudoun Historical Society
P.O. Box 181
Fort Loudoun, PA 17224